The First Castle of the Loire Valley
Perched on its headland, Saint Brisson Sur Loire's castle is actually the most upstream fortress of the Loire. Its high walls and his animated architecture make of it one key guard of the Loire. It is in particular what was worth him his classification in historic monuments.
Already present in XII th century, Saint Brisson's castle on the Loire then consists of a Romanic chief tower and fences. But in 1135, the King Louis VI of France besieges and ruins the building.
It is in 1210 that begins the construction of a part of the current building with the Comte Etienne II of Sancerre, vice royal chamberlain.
In XVI th century, Saint Brisson's castle becomes the property of the Family Séguier which abandons the defensive side to transform him into a livable and confortable house.
Saint Brisson's castle is bequeathed to the municipality of Saint Brisson in 1987 by Anne de Ranst de Berchem. It is at that time that begins a series of heavy renovation work, realized by the volunteers of the Association of the Friends of Saint Brisson's castle, which opens it to the public.
In 2015, Saint Brisson's castle is resold to the company Tous Au Chateau which will make a new series of works to welcome the visitors in 2016 with a new visit.